View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
schaefer
schaefer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngukho View Post
Managing collections on Kindle is painful and slow. However, if you dig into the new file system, you could find a "collections.json" at /mnt/us/system, which stores all the stuff related to collections data.

The "collections.json" is a standard json file. The only tricky part is how it identifies a document --- or what do those hashes come from. A little trial and error shows that they are merely the sha1 hash value of the document's absolute path, say a H.pdf is at the Kindle's documents directory, then its hash in collections.json would be sha1 hash of the string "/mnt/us/documents/H.pdf".

Voila, all that's needed for a PC-end collections manager is above. Anyone willing to contribute a GUI for this job? (-8
I have not been able to replicate this result. I am using OS X and the following command to generate the hash.

echo <Filepath> | openssl sha1

The result I get is the same length as the hash in the collections file but is not equal. Additionally, each item in my collections file has an asterisk before the hash, are others seeing this as well?
schaefer is offline   Reply With Quote