View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 01:52 PM   #75
MatthewTheRaven
MatthewTheRaven began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacapee View Post
version 0.5 has support for pre-trimming off the input pages. These are specifed in terms of % of the page from the left/right/top/bottom that you want to trim away. They can also be specified independently for even/odd pages. Also unicode metadata is now supported.
This is a tremendous tool! This is the first time I've been able to make PDFs easily readable on the Reader. This really opens it up for me.

I think the pre-trimming will help a lot also, but as a suggestion, having a preview window that can show an even and an odd page will make this 100% more useful. I've been using pdcrop from pdf-tools to trim down the pages before using your tool to convert, but pdcrop is nearly instantaneous, so I can tweak and play with the sizes before worrying about converting to lrf.

Unfortunately since a full conversion takes a lot more time, setting the wrong cropping in pdflrf is a far more time consuming issue. I realize that you could just convert a single page or two and it will be faster, but a preview would make it just that much more useful.

Also, I haven't checked 0.5, but I know with 0.4 that it doesn't seem to be multithreaded. Doing that will definitely help the encoding time for a lot of users. Having two threads, perhaps one for odd pages and one for even pages, would really speed up the process. A third thread could assemble the processed pages into the final file in the correct order.

Anyway, even in its early development, this is probably the best software out there for making the Reader what it should be. Great work!

Matt