View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Actually if you are going to run off a NAS it is probably MORE reliable to have the database locally. File level operations (open/close/rename/copy etc) across the network tend to be extremely reliable, whereas SQLite database updates are fragile and low performance.

The biggest issue with having the database locally is likely to be user error when using Calibre on multiple machines with not always working off the latest metadata database. I reduce the likelihood of that happening by having an automatic sync of the metadata database back to the NAS whenever Calibre is closed down. I am also the only person updating my Calibre library so am not subject to someone attempting to make changes asynchronously to me.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote