View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #64
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Whether or not LCD causes eye strain is completely moot for me. I simply find it uncomfortable to read on LCD. I don't know what causes the discomfort (and I've tried lowering brightness, etc.). I used to read on a PDA, and I've tried reading on my phone, but I could only ever manage a little bit at a time.

I spend much of the day at a computer screen, and that doesn't really bother me. I put that down to the nature of the reading. When reading in short bursts and constantly shifting focus and interacting I don't feel any discomfort (though I do occasionally get tired eyes, but that is possibly the harsh lights). But trying to read anything longer than medium-lenght article just feels so wrong that I usually have to stop before I've finished.

However on e-ink I can keep reading for quite a long time. It just feels more natural.

I'd love to see some proper scientific study on this, but I will use whatever device works best for me.

But I think people have different preferences and different eyes. To say that LCD is as good for reading as e-ink is dismissing the fact that some people cannot bear to read on LCD. And to say that LCD is damaging to one's eyesight is overlooking the fact that there is no scientific data to back that up (that I'm aware of).

There is plenty of technology on the way that makes this moot anyway. Pixel QI's screen apparently looks comparable to e-ink when in that mode and like full colour LCD when in LCD mode. The company that makes Kindle screens has apparently got colour e-ink with refresh rates capable of high enough framerates to emulate video.

These displays are probably going to make LCD obsolete for any portable device due to their efficiency and flexibility. I certainly will be thinking twice before buying any device with an LCD screen in the coming year.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote