View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 AM   #49
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
In my humble opinion

Almost all the ebook readers function under some sort of embedded linux operating system. I think the first company that opens up their operating system so that programmers can build applications will be a big winner.

I will be first in line to buy my next reader that is an open platform. The article that was posted here about a new ebook reader that runs Android interests me immensely.

With an open system, I could care less about the stability of the company that provides it as long as my warranty period is covered.

Look at the millions of programmers that are writing software for linux. Quite a bit of that software is better than you can buy. If the operating system is open source it then only makes a difference on how good, fast, and reliable that hardware is.

Ebooks are now at their start. The users are willing to put up with companies that have locked in proprietary formats. At his day and age would you buy a computer that you could only run software sold by the company that makes the computer and no one else ?

I could then write a better reader program that allowed you to bookmark, index, have dictionary functions, make notations and anything else I wanted to add to it. I could sell this software for the same price as any ebook and you as a customer would have a choice.

As long as the suppliers have in their business model built around locked in customers to locked in formats on locked up devices, it will not change.

Just my two cents and I will give you one and a half back.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote