View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Need some conversion help

I know this is a well discussed topic already, but I could use some advice on converting .pdf files or at least what would be the most conventional way of doing so for the ebookwise.

So far I've tried a lot of methods. I even went so far as to torrent some commercial software, which I don't condone as I only needed to test, and still have had a lot of bad results. I tried Mobipocket Creator, Nitro PDF Pro, PDF Transformer, PDF Ripper and PDFRead so far. Nitro PDF had a lot of nice options, but the converted output was always messed up no matter what options were tested. It always had a problem of spacing and squishing certain lines, which seems to be a problem with almost all these tools.

With images intact, I had the best results with PDF Transformer (though it always required lots of tweaking), unfortunately the software is miserably slow even when converting text only so it's not even worth it. Mobipocket seems even better than commercial software for straight converting to html then to the ebw but it only does text.

So I was wondering, wouldn't Adobe Acrobat probably do the best job since it's basically the main software when working with PDF files? I use Foxit, but that's only for reading and it can't do any conversion except to txt format which is bad. I never liked Adobe and any of its bloatware, but would be willing to try it if it can do perfect or near perfect conversions of PDF's that'll look at least pretty good on the ebw.

Also, is it best to convert to RTF format then to imp? Seems to produce the best results.
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote