View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumAge View Post
Hi folks,

I don't know much about ebook readers and therefore I'm asking for your advise. I'm searching for an ebook capable of reading PDF, DJVU and scanned books (all my books are math books). I also prefer a touch screen for taking notes.

Thx a lot
Rémon

P.S. I'm living in Belgium
If you can...wait a few weeks to see what shakes out from CES. As for math texts I have long hoped for an ebook device for math and science areas of study. I am going to say you will be happier with a larger format reader, at least a 10" (9.7") panel...but you are going to be looking at the $300-$600 price range. You might even be better off with one of the announced (well only one has been officially announced) slate PC devices using the Pixel Qi panel for under $500.

It's just the nature of the documents in both complexity as well as the physical size needed to see the whole page in larger enough fonts to be read easily.

New things are coming and we all know it, we just don't know exactly what is going to come out...this waiting is more agonizingly delicious than staring at gifts under the tree for a couple weeks... but really, if you have waited this long, give it a few weeks yet. I also expect pricing on existing devices to drop as the new devices being hitting the market.

I expect interesting things from Pocketbook and the 302 will have a touch panel just not a Wacom panel which I feel is important to serious use as a research tool. And the Wacom panels for readers seem to be dropping in price quite rapidly. Just the other day in the News & Comments section there was a new tablet device running Android with a Wacom touch interface for under $500. I know it's still a LOT of cash but my point is prices are dropping and features are starting to reach the point where very solid devices will be in the $300-$400 price range with some form of wireless, mobile broadband and a Wacom because to get the clarity and avoid the glossy panels Wacom is about the only option mfg's seem to want to use even though there are dozens of other options which they could select.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote