View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Evidence, please? Especially for the claim that this is good for the long term. Walmart, in particular, has a history of coming in, sucking small communities dry by knocking the local competition out of business, and then packing up and leaving. Local businesses spread the money they earn around the local community. Big businesses generally don't, preferring the large national distributors with which they already have existing relationships. This is also not just an economic issue. It's a socio-psychological one which is at once symptomatic of and contributing to the hyper-atomized individualism which has infected American culture over the past few decades.
Evidence please? I don't think I've ever heard of a Walmart store closing. Moving, yes, but not flat out closing (which seems to be what you're talking about when you say 'packing up and leaving'.

As for spreading the money around the local community, which do you think hires more people, one Walmart or 10 mom-and-pop stores?. Sure, the *profits* might go out of town, but the *income* is spread out much more widely.

My dislike of Walmart is the same as my dislike of most chain department stores-I have yet to find one that truly focuses on helping people. Take the incident that hit the news lately-in our local store if somebody was rude enough to cut in line, shoving other customer's goods aside, they'd probably be asked to leave. In Walmart? They left it up to the other customers to complain.

I don't want to pay higher prices in the local stores-but I'm much more willing to help them out, e.g. put stuff back on the shelf for them, speak up if I see someone trashing something, etc.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote