View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
Alan P.
Alan P. began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I'm with you, pal. I bought my PRS-505 right after it was released, pre-kindle, and haven't looked back. I've come to realize that reviews are rarely done by competent people without some kind of axe to grind against someone. All I needed to know before I bought my 505 was:

Can it accept .html, .txt, .rtf, .pdf, files? Yes? good. Even the PDFs, which look like crap usually, don't bother me 'cause I have acrobat and convert them to something else.

Screen look good? I went to a sony style to look at one, saw the screen was more than adequate.

Connect to my Mac? Everyone says a resounding NO (including many reviewers). Bullsh*t. I took a chance on this one and forged ahead, believing that my Mac would see it as any other drive and I could copy my books on to it. Then I find Calibre, and I'm better off than PC folk who have to use that crappy Sony software to transfer books.

Two years later, I wouldn't trade my 505 for any other ebook reader, sony, kindle, or otherwise. I don't care about instant downloading of books, I got thousands on my Mac, carry about 200 around on my 505. I hate touchscreens and find them useless and detrimental to the product; I can hold my 505 in 1 hand and turn pages without getting the screen dirty (and a clearer screen to begin with!). I got a tiny head-lamp for reading at night (like a dorky miner or something) that works perfectly and my 505 needs a charge about every 3 weeks; and that's reading 2 hours a day or so.

My point is after this long rant is that you're better off finding out the facts yourself, what's important to you about the device, and take reviews with a grain of salt.
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote