Thread: PRS-600 Notes on Notes (not good)
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFree View Post
While reading an e-book on your reader, you can highlight text, or draw freehand on the page. You CANNOT enter text into your note with the virtual keyboard.
yes you can, two ways:
1) highlight text. then tap the highlight you just made. you get an option to add a note (text or freehand) to that highlight
2) bookmark the page. tap the bookmark icon in upper right corner of the screen. you get an option to add a note (text or freehand).

Quote:
You CAN find those highlights or annotations easily while in your book (they are all listed, along with the page numbers) but you CANNOT search for a particular word in those notes.
yes you can.
1. bring up the notes for that book (options > create/edit notes)
2. tap the notes button (top row). this lists all the notes in that book.
3. now press the search hardware button. Whatever you search is limited to those particular notes. I believe the user manual says this too.

Quote:
Secondly: you CAN synch those notes, along with the eBook itself to your computer eBook library. But if you have notes in a purchased copyrighted book, you CANNOT export them to a txt or any other file. A pop.up box says "The notes of this ebook cannot be exported because the license set by the publisher does not allow".
this does seem to be a case of overly protective drm/copyright policy on sony's part. probably it cant export notes because it isnt allowing even the 100 characters of highlighted text to be exported, and since the note is tied to the highlight, it gets blocked too? If thats the case I agree that thats daft, but I also think thats something they'll fix cuz one should be able to get one's own notes out.

Quote:
If you have taken notes on a pdf document, or other personal doc that you have uploaded, you CAN export notes to an .rtf file BUT ONLY THE FIRST 100 CHARACTERS!!!!
I dont think thats correct. When I exported my notes I think my notes in their entirety did come thru. It was only the highlighted portion of the document's text that was limited to the 100 characters.
I can test this again on mine, but I think that was the case.
UPDATE: Verified, 185 characters of my own note did export into the RTF file. So the 100 character limit only applies to the highlighted text, not to your note.

Quote:
Unless a work-around can be found, the note-taking function in the PRS 600 is rather useless. What were they thinking??
its not useless; its a bit limited. I'm not typing long notes to myself on that tiny keyboard; just a few phrases that i expand upon later when i'm back at the computer. I do find it useful for that. On a real book we'd be typing in the quote manually anyway. If you want to be able to copy chunks of the document's text out, a tablet or netbook would do it, but not these very limited reading devices -- at least, not yet.

Last edited by ebooker; 11-13-2009 at 04:57 AM.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote