View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #42
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I have been exclusively using Macs for 5 years and I own (and love) an iPhone since Summer 2008. I'm also a happy MobileMe subscriber. I really can't understand the bias against Apple. Apple has been driving the computer industry for over 20 years and is greatly responsible for the way music is sold nowadays. Apple is also responsible for all the great multitouch smartphones that are currently available. Android, WebOS, multitouch screens, none of that would exist if it wasn't for the iPhone. So I think some respect for that company is more than appropriate.

The iPhone OS is no anarchy. There is no multitasking, no background processes and applications can only be obtained through the App Store. All of this has its valid pros and cons. More importantly, all of this is well-known. So if anyone buys an iPhone and then bitches about these design decisions: STFU! A quick look on the internet would have revealed that information before buying the phone.

About the feature set of the iPhone: Everything the iPhone is capable of is incredibly easy to use. Surveys show that most iPhone users interact with at least 10 apps on a regular basis including emailing and surfing. Studies also show that most users of so-called feature phones don't use many of the included features such as Bluetooth stuff and so on. It's simply too complicated to be useful. A recent study also showed that only users of Apple and HTC handhelds are mostly satisfied; most of the other smartphone owners are unhappy with their devices and wouldn't buy them again.

The main reason for Apple's success it that its design process is based on the user and not on the specification sheet. It's not about how many features you can cramp into a device; it's about how to make them usable.

I am really excited about what the new iPad might be and what it might be capable of. Rumors indicate it could be Apples entry into the eBook market.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote