View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #39
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Hmmm let's see my MacBook Pro will shutdown in 5 seconds and come out of suspend in 5 seconds. I can cold boot it and perform productive work in 35 seconds. That's faster then my work Windows XP laptop will come out of suspend (and about 1 times out of 20 it doesn't and I have to cold boot). It takes me at least 12 minutes to cold boot my work laptop and start doing anything and that's debatable because the hard drive runs flat out for at least another 5 minutes.
Interesting that you find more value in turning on and off you computer than the actual experience in between.

Okay seriously the lag really is more related to all the bootup scripts and shutdown script coporates put on your system than actual OS and Hardware i have both a Linux box and a Windows box that shutdown/start in that time. However my work Laptop takes around the same amount of time you quoted.

Quote:
For 95% of the people out there Apple products work very reliably and are a much better computing experience then the alternatives. I don't hesitate to recommend them.
Honestly I think if you threw up a Windows/Mac/Linux box most people will be okay with any of those system because most folks use PC to surf the web, check email, and write documents. As far as "better computing experience" I think that is way to opinionated to make such a claim.

Quote:
I really really REALLY want to like LINUX but it too much of a pain in the ass. I deal with computer problems all day and the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is spend another 2 hours reading howto's on dependencies everytime I want to install a new application.
You'd be Amazed how easy Linux is to install. It has far surpassed the Windows in ease to install. Just yesterday I installed Linux on my sons PC and it took 5min to start the install by the time I came back the OS was already installed. Unless you have some odd ball configuration or hardware the install process is seamless. I'd recommend Ubuntu 9.10

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote