View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #36
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I've heard Palm should work well - after all it's developed directly for a mobile device. I just had the bad luck of getting Windows Mobile.

But you can't use a Windows Mobile PDA as real computer either. You need a real computer for that - not the crippled Windows Mobile interface.

You're obviously a Microsoft fanboy since you paint everyone who even dares to like the experience of an Apple interface, as Apple fanboys/girls

I can't understand how you could stand your Windows Mobile PDA.
I suffered enough typing with a tiny pen on a minuscule keyboard. I suffered enough waiting for the f****** device to start up applications- and then saving it - and the Dell Axim 51 was a decent device. I suffered enough non-working syncing (Microsoft: sorry, we can't do it better - better luck next time). I suffered enough general lack of functionality. Windows Mobile 5.0 was pure hell. Perhaps that's why I like the iPhone OS - *anything* is an improvement Have you thought about that, Hans?

Oooh, count me in! Count me in! Me stoopid, too
Tiny pens on miniscule keyboards?? You never installed a download (they are even free), you have a choice of dozens of wonderful keyboards with keys big enough for any finger. Some like TouchPal are extremely innovative (4 characters on one key) and much faster than the iphone's. And you can buy a device with a physical keyboard. Of course, we must be comparing devices of a size 3.5". Can't compare the on-screen keyboard of a 2.6" to an iphone's 3.5". I know the Axim is 3.5", and remember that came a full 5 years before the iphone! You can actually even have WM 6.5 on the Axim. Sorry for your syncing problems, I never had these. And as you can see from this post, some Iphone users with Windows suffer through the same (I never had any problems here, either).

Sure, WM has its problems. Fully agree with you. If you take one of the older phones (before HTC, Samsung and others installed their interfaces) could be torture. You had to tweak it to your needs first. It was a canvas, for you to work on. I wish upgrades where as easy as the iphones (if you don't jailbreak) and the interface can be clunky at times. But you can easily turn it into anything you like. Takes some tweaking, yes. A WM phone can be slow if you keep too many apps open -- but remember, you cannot keep any non-Apple apps open on an iphone.

WM is far from perfect. But it is still way ahead of the iphone in what you can do with it, if you are willing to invest some time in tweaking it. Of course, what the iphone can do may be enough for a lot of people, then it is a fine phone. For me, now with my second phone (a WM with a physical keyboard broke down 2 months ago and I am waiting for some new models) out of action, being exclusively on the iphone for 2 months on and off work it has been a never ending excercise in frustration. Instant messaging problems, contact management problems, waiting for apps to open and close (yes, if you multitask on the iphone it is a real snail), bluetooth limitations, no real control over it from my PC, you name it. So I was just ranting off.

Great if people are happy with their iphones. But to say that the iphone is much superior to other WM or Symbian? Let us be fair. Easier to learn, yes. But less capable and much less flexible.

And just FYI, my definition of an iphone fanboy is not somebody who likes his iphone. It is someone who goes into a discussion of a new WM or Symbian phone and says "it doesn't have a capacitive screen like my iphone" or "it doesn't scroll as smoothly as the iphone" or something. Or who claims that the iphone's technology is years ahead of the competition.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-15-2009 at 08:05 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote