View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm aware vi(m) is weird, I couldn't understand it when I was first introduced to it, now I can't live without it. But I was not suggesting anyone should learn vi(m), I was just providing an example regexp with the "warning" that it's in the vim regexp dialect.

(To exit vim, press ESC (to make sure you are not in edit mode) then type ":q!" or "ZQ", without quotes.)

EDIT: Maybe you were asking whether it is worth for you to learn vi(m)? Well, that depends. Are you comfortable to some other advanced text editor like emacs? If you are, you don't need to learn vi(m). But if you are not and you want to learn some editor, vi(m) is as good as other alternatives. Try running "vimtutor" to start with.
Thanks. If I remember this, next time I won't have to kill my konsole tab when I have the misfortune of ending up in vim... for some reason in the event of a latex error, some (I do not definitively know what) key combination mysteriously fires it up...

And yeah, I'm aware of the potential benefits... but because I type fairly fast, I have doubts whether or not I would see any massive benefits as a result of learning either VIM or Emacs. If I need something complex, I usually throw a python script at the problem.

Thanks again though!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote