View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
How much cost difference is there really?

This has come up in many different posts of late, but I have not seen a realy clear answer on it, so I thought I would ask the community at large, and try to develop a clear answer.

Exactly what is the cost breakdown between hardcover vs. ebook vs. paperback (vs. trade paperback).

Looking for:
cost per unit breakdown
Author Royalty
Publisher production cost
Publisher profit
Bookseller cost
Bookseller profit
and the difference between the various publishers.

I am very curious about this, as recently I wanted to pick up an ebook copy of Foundation by Mercedes Lackey. An ebook copy costs about $19.00, vs. the local Books a Million had the hardcover marked down to $6. Often, the ebook copy costs more than the paperback copy - with the exception of Baen ebooks. I want to know why the ebook costs so much more, and I want to know how much of the purchase price gets back to the author.

Also, if anyone knows how to contact publishers to get this information, post it here!

Mare
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote