View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Ads
Ads began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thanks for your reply. It does look as though these different methods can confuse it somehow. Though I'd expect them to almost be invisible to each other due to the creation of the indexes etc that the device carries out of its own accord anyway.
Oh well, hopefully we'll slowly discover things about this for future reference.

As I started from scratch from your comments (reformat everything etc), the only methods I used this time were drag and drop and Sony Library 3.0
This did however cause the issues in my last post.

So, going back to the beginning, I decided to reformat my SDHC card once more - this time I dug out the "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" - entirely unrelated to my card, but I have used it in the past when known issues cropped up with the way that windows can format memory cards etc. So I went with this - reformatted the card (didn't use the quick format method), then without using the Reader - I put the card into my Netbook card slot - then piled on over 150 books straight into the card using various directories.

I then had to use the eReader to connect to the Sony Library software so that it could view the memory card. I did this without turning the reader on (well it was in sleep mode), so only the software triggered the index rebuild at the moment. I then created several Collections and ejected the reader (as I normally do).

Upon the reader coming alive once more, it now has every book showing (only once I'm pleased to say) and also includes every collection I put in.

Therefore, fingers crossed it is currently working!

I have no idea if this is a fluke, or if something else (potentially the better formatting of the card) has had something to play in this strange issue.

I'll continue to play around though - no doubt I'll break it again soon - especially as I want to put the classic books into one collection - I'm sure that might confuse something now.

Then there will be the dilema as to how I should continue. I have used both Calibre and the Sony Library before, trying to work out which is best for me - but this most likely lead to my current predicament!

It's always the fiddling and experimenting that breaks things! Though it is always the best way to learn

Thanks for your input acidzebra.
I'll let you know how things go - sorry for making my posts so huge too - I'll stop babbling now... and get back to some work!
Ads is offline   Reply With Quote