View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
Ads
Ads began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
When 150 becomes 4000!

Hi guys,
I've been reading this forum for quite sometime, but never posted before - so firstly, thanks for all the info each of you have provided over time. It is a wealth of knowledge.
I currently have a Sony PRS-505 and am from the UK. I normally have a small selection of books on the internal memory and have experimented with varying amounts on the SD card - to this day, I've had no problem - though I must say I've not exceeded 300 books on an SDHC (though some of them are big! PDF textbooks etc).
I often drop a couple of books onto an SD card at the drop of a hat, insert the card and seconds later get to choose from my new selection. However, over the past few days, I put the whole classic books cd - so 100 books onto my SD card as really wanted to work my way through these (honestly!) - I had no more than 50 other books on the SDHC card, which is my main card (and has contained a lot more before and worked fine), however, getting to the point - I now insert this card and an hour or so later, my reader comes to life listing 4216 books! How the flip of the flippety flip?

It appears as though the indexing has gone mental and on average it has duplicated each book 20 times - others more, others less. When looking at where it thinks these files are, it lists a directory on the card as many times as the book appears. For instance, I have a directory called Japanese, that contains some language books - 2 books in fact, but the index will list Japanese\Japanese\Japanese\Japanese\Japanese\Japan ese\<book name> for a lot of the duplicated books on the card.

Checking the card in a machine with a card reader, the structure is normal and has not created these recurring directories. Also suprisingly, the reader still finds these files to read, even though the structure doesn't exist.

Does anyone have a clue what is happening or any solutions? I've read some things about duplicated books and collections, but I've not found too much detail - which may just be me - I've searched a lot, but found nothing like this.

Even if I clear the card down now and start again, it is doing the same thing to varying degrees. Even just using small files - and I didn't believe 150 odd small files was anywhere near some of these strange Sony limits!

The only thing I can think of that has been done differently when this happened, was downloading and trying V3 of the Sony Reader Library software and attempting to set up some collections. But now, even if I remove these collections and start again (remove most of the books etc) it always does the same!

Very confused! Any ideas?

Thanks very much,
Adam.
Ads is offline   Reply With Quote