View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
RKnack
Enthusiast
RKnack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350 (deceased)
New RCA REB 1100 owner, with questions...

Hi, all! Newbie here,so please excuse any "dumb" questions...

One of my aunts just gave me an REB1100 this past weekend. First e-book reader I've ever encountered (much less, owned), and I wasn't going to turn down a freebie (I also don't have $200+ for a new, up-to-date unit !). It came with USB cable, power adapter, and a soft case, but no SmartMedia cards. She said that it will only use files with the .rb extension, and that she thinks it will only hold about 8 books on the built-in memory. She also said that there are programs available that can convert other formats to the .rb format, but that they won't work with "copy protected" books. So...

1) Are the SM cards still being made? Can anybody recommend one? Where is the best source for them (price + availability)? I'm an avid bookworm , and I re-read the good ones over and over again, so I want as much storage capacity as possible...

2) What programs will I need to convert currently used formats to the .rb format, and where can I get them (preferably for free - I don't have a lot of $$$ to spend right now...)? And is there any way to get around that blasted "copy protection" my aunt was talking about? It seems to me that if I buy an e-book online, that what I did with it afterwards shouldn't matter as long as I don't re-distribute it - after all, I would be paying for it totally above-board!

Any help would be appreciated. My aunt left some fantasy/sci-fi on the reader, and I'm enjoying it immensely, but I'd like to be able to use it to its fullest possible potential. Thanks in advance !
RKnack is offline   Reply With Quote