View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob
Sony is in the Business to sell not only Readers, but more importantly to sell content. You mentioned in your first post the iPod/iTunes model. You have the analogy correct, that is what Sony hopes to achieve with Reader/Connect.

When iTunes started the collection was small. You could play MP3s on your iPod (like RTF & PDF on the Reader), but for DRM, only iTunes content will play on the iPod. Lots of folks complained. Many still refuse to use an iPod for that reason. Still the market supports the Apple model. Clearly Sony is trying to copy it in books.

One size does not fit all. Good Luck
Bob, it doesn't work that way. I can buy an iTunes song, write it on a CD, read it into my Creative Zen software, and play it without an iPod. And, I can do the reverse to play an MP3 on my iPod.

Now, we're in the situation here that's analogous to Creative saying "plays songs from iTunes" on their marketing site, and then not playing them. At least in the analogy there is a procedure. I came to this forum in hopes of finding the procedure. Instead I've mostly gotten folks that think this is a good situation.

I'm not interested in pirating PDFs, yet. I don't expect them to add software to the player to do this. I'm expecting someone to give me a procedure that runs on the PC that has CONNECT installed on it to register that computer (and perhaps the reader) with Adobe and then transcodes the Adobe DRM into the Sony DRM for playback on the reader.

/Randy
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote