View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekehat
I see no reason why a similar mechanism can't grow up around books. In fact, I already select many books to buy based on other people's reviews on amazon.com, which amounts to about the same thing.
I'm not saying I completely disagree, but:

1 - Books are longer than blog entries (most of the time, anyway ), so a lot more effort is involved in discovering whether they are worth recommending.

2 - Blogs are generally free to read, and books often are not. Reading something unknown to see if you like it is less of a big deal if you don't have to pay for it first. Books on Amazon have been filtered somewhat by the editor even before the first reader-reviewer pays to read the book and write the review.

3 - Blogs are often funded in part by advertising. Do you want to see advertising in books? (This is not a rhetorical question or baiting, I'm quite serious.)

4 - I myself expect a higher quality of writing in a book than in a blog, and though I enjoy reading several blogs, they don't satisfy me the way a good, well-written book does. Writing the quality book that I want to read takes a lot of time and energy. If authors are rarely or never paid, I don't think many will put in that much time and energy. I think that would be a great loss. So whatever alternate method is found to publish books, compensation for the authors is still needed.

I also think the editorial services involved in helping a writer to improve the book are valuable, and should be compensated. Yes, it could be done some other way without a publishing house, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote