View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
It's an interesting article, especially this comment about Amazon: "The online retailer reportedly is itching to get into digital downloads but is holding out for a DRM-free service." Too bad Amazon doesn't seem to feel the same way about DRM-free books. I don't see them announcing that they're going to open up Mobipocket Secure files.

This followup comment from another reader was also interesting: "The dirty secret that CNet does not want to tell you is that the only reason some minor players in the space are looking at non-DRM'd alternatives is because Apple will not license their FairPlay DRM and the music crowd is so addicted to iPOds they cannot look past any other solution than selling unencrypted content to iPods."

Bizarre. One popular piece of hardware with overly exclusive DRM encourages non-DRM file use... (maybe, anyway).

Following that logic, if someone (say, for talking purposes, Amazon or ETI) were to release a really kick-butt low-cost reader, but it had only one highly proprietary DRM format on it, it might encourage everyone else to drop the DRM just to be able to be read on that device.

Somehow I don't see the Sony Reader sweeping the market this way. (And I don't think their creation tool is as exclusive as Apple's, is it?)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote