View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #97
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Lightbulb Custom font test eBook collection

I made a collection of font test ebook files.

Hopefully, this will help you and other fellow e-readers to test which font they like more, and eventually use it in their own ePub ebooks.

Here it is : font test.zip

There are two ways of using it, with a major exception : PMN Caecilia is not a free font, and thus is not included in this collection. The files I made that reference it are included, in order to help people who have actually bought the font.

The book used to test the different fonts is a free book by Jeffrey A. Carver, titled Battlestar Galactica. I use this opportunity to both thank Jeffrey for his great books (most of which he gives for free) and to make a bit of advertisement for his site : http://www.starrigger.net/

Anyway, here are the explanations :

1. First way: embedded fonts
In each of the font directories (except PMN Caecilia for the reason I already explained above), you'll find a subfolder named "embedded". The file stored here is autonomous, and contains the font it means to test.
One cannot make this easier...

2. Second way: copying the font files
You need to create a /fonts folder in the root of your Sony Reader device file system.
In each if the font directories (except PMN Caecilia for the reason I already explained above), you'll find a subfolder named "fonts". Copy the files found here into your new /fonts folder.
The .epub files found in each of the font directories reference the fonts in the /fonts folder.

[edit: corrected the spelling of the fonts folder]

And a final note : the content of the .css files can be used to configure Calibre (in the conversion configuration dialog) or manually edit the .css files in other .epub ebooks...

[edit: I added screenshots !]
  • Default font
    Click image for larger version

Name:	normal.png
Views:	1127
Size:	713.0 KB
ID:	31477
  • PMN Caecilia

Name:	caecilia.png
Views:	1131
Size:	709.3 KB
ID:	31474
  • Droid

Name:	droid.png
Views:	1118
Size:	740.8 KB
ID:	31473
  • Fontin

Name:	fontin.png
Views:	1074
Size:	730.3 KB
ID:	31475
  • Fontin Sans

Name:	fontin sans.png
Views:	981
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	31476
  • Liberation Sans

Name:	liberation sans.png
Views:	1019
Size:	734.1 KB
ID:	31472

I hope that my work will help you, please contact me if you need more help...

David.

Last edited by dpierron; 07-01-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Added screenshots - corrected the spelling of the fonts folder
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote