View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Toronto! Summer! Yay! (Toronto, Canada)

At least 4 of us were talking earlier in the year about a Toronto meet-up, perhaps in mid-July or early August. So, let's get things underway I am going to follow the instructions exactly from the sticky...

* To propose a meet-up, create a thread in the lounge.

Done!

Now, as for venues, I am more than willing for anyone to suggest. I have had some good luck in the past with the What a Bagel at Yonge and Eglinton for things like this. It is roughly in the middle of the subway line (in a city like ours, not everyone is a driver; I think a subway-accessible venue is a must for things like this!) and it has a nice mix of real food for those so inclined and tiny cheap treats for those on a budget.

But as I said, this is just a starting point and if someone else would like to propose a venue, please do not feel inhibited that I have already suggested one.

* Use the "Meet-Up!" thread prefix !! Alex made it specially so your meet-up will be easily visible.

Done. Note my use of exclamation marks, too, so my thread will be nice and visible and make everyone want to come to our awesome meet-up.

* Location, location, location !

Toronto, city of at least 4 Mobile Read members who have said they might come to a meet-up! Canada, land of no Kindles so how impressed would we be if someone came to the meet-up with one!

* give one to two months' notice !! some people have really full calendars

When this was talked about before, people seemed to think 'summer' was a good range to work with. If any tourists who plan to visit Toronto for one of our many festivals respond, we can try and arrange it so the meet-up happens then.

* Tell a mod when things start taking shape (look for the names in green) and we will make an official announcement so nobody misses it !

Will do! Update forthcoming when the date shapes up.

* BRING YOUR DEVICE if you have one. more than one is encouraged !

More than one? Hmm, do I trust them to behave themselves together?

* Planning to come ? reply in the thread, and mention which device you will bring.*

I of course will come, with my Sony Reader and iPod Touch. I can bring my Alphasmart Dana if people want to see it (it comes with a special version of Palm Reader pre-installed which is optimized for the wide screen) but I don't read on that device, myself.

So? We in? Who's coming?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote