View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #61
sponder
sponder began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
Cybook broke and how I fixed it.

Hello from San Antonio,Texas. This seems like the place to post this. I am a newbie at this, and so I apologize in advance if I violate some rule or protocol. A strange thing happened last week. After finishing a book, I attached the Cybook to my computer to load another book and Mobipocket informed me that the Cybook was not connected. I checked My Computer and it no longer showed it as Cybook but as drives K: and L:. When I clicked on drive K: I was informed that it could not be opened because of a corrupted file or directory. When I clicked on drive L: I was told to insert a disk in the drive. I disconnected the Cybook and booted it up. My library was now empty of all books and pictures. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is that I was not using the safely remove hardware button, but just disconnecting. Needless to say I had not backed up the files. I emailed Bookeen and told them of my problem and 3 days later they responded with a request for my serial number and nothing else. I noticed some earlier post concerning a similar problem by Swedish11. I downloaded build 796 (I'm 834) and followed the directions. Nothing happened on the Cybook, but an ebook, music, and picture directory were created on the sd card. I don't know if this was created by trying to load 796 or if the Cybook created them. I tried Mobipocket again and was able to load a book on to the card, and as long as the card was in the Cybook it showed in the library and I was able to read it. I responded to Bookeen's request for the serial number and asked If I could run chkdsk to try fix the corrupted files. Three days later they have still not responded. I know it's a long way from San Antonio to Paris and there is a time difference, but I can get better service than this from the Government. So I ran chkdsk anyway. My Computer now shows it as Cybook and I can now load books, pictures and PDF's on the Cybook itself. The original library is still gone but it was mostly demo's anyway so no great loss. I have now backed up my files and am using the safely remove hardware button. It would have been helpful if Bookeen had mentioned using the safely removing hardware button and backing up your files in any of their literature. I also apologize for the length of this post, but since I am incapable of doing anything original I suspect someone else will have this problem.
sponder is offline   Reply With Quote