View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
My point was essentially this: All eReaders are more like paper than a computer, in that they are ultimate destinations for reading material. Apart from minor things such as (vector) scribbles, you don't really create/modify documents on an eReader or move them to another destination (a computer/printout), and I don't really see this becoming a major use for eReaders in the immediate future. So basically, "device indepentent" formats are overkill for readers. This is what slows things down and what not...

Images are great in that they are not device independent and are more like paper, hence my interest in a viewer for them. What would be even better is a format with image+text, because unlike paper which has been the "ultimate destination" for mankind's document needs so far, eReaders are ultimate destinations that CAN SEARCH TEXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
Frankly, in the long run, to avoid conversions and giant image folders (my DR1000 has in tens of thousands images by now ), it seems to me the best solution would be to port an image viewer...

Or even better a comic book reader like Comix...
Yes, I can quickly see my collection becoming a nightmare of folders with huge numbers of images, I'll investigate a CBR viewer port.

What did you mean "to avoid conversions"? Are you averse to the idea of auto-converting documents to an optimal form? This should be no different from "printing" to a paper, the printout is a "conversion" of your original document after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
The native full screen size is therefore 1019 (w) x 1274 (h).
Thanks for the tip, I was wondering why part of my page was clipped in 100% view
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote