View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #3722
Zbigniev Hamson
Zbigniev Hamson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard) WiFi
I have a question about the "random" feature of the screensaver hack (for the Kindle 3/Keyboard WiFi). As in... how exactly is it supposed to work?

I was sure I had this working in the past, but I've had only 1 screensaver image for over a year and have only just tried to put a few more images in again and can't really seem to get it working, but.... maybe it's working as it is supposed to.

So my memory was that this would randomise the images every time the device was put to sleep and woken up again - i.e. just a quick flick of the switch. However, now I'm seeing that it only randomises the images on doing a full reset (as in Home > Menu > Settings > Menu > Reset). Is this expected behaviour?

Probably related to this, I am a bit unclear as to what the "autoreboot" file actually does. I know that I can copy this and rename the copy to "reboot" and this will make my Kindle do a full reset after ejecting it (although, confusingly, the readme calls this process... autoreboot?!), but I don't get what the autoreboot file on its own is for, or why I should remove this if I want to use the "cover" feature.

Incidentally, I have only used the cover feature for the first time today (I was still on version 0.29 of the ss hack until today) and I have to say I think it's great! This is actually the very behaviour I always wanted to Kindle to exhibit on sleeping right back when I first got it and was what got me looking for hacks in the first place, so I'm really happy to discover this is now possible (and has been for a while to be fair) and I think I might just stick with this mode now anyway
Zbigniev Hamson is offline   Reply With Quote