View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #3
miomaz
miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.

Device: kindle 4.1.0
Thanks for the info. I'm no fan of java to be honest, I much prefer C++. I looked up the wikipedia entry for the gtk+ library: it is written in C.. which is good. Does the OS of the kindle use the same library available at gtk.org?
This library is for creating graphical user interfaces. Are there other libraries for handling basic drawing operations (the equivalent of, say, OpenGL, with much less baggage).
For the game I am programming it would make things look much nicer if I could do this.

If you're interested, I'm planning on making a game similar to NEO scavenger with elements from the game Dwarf fortress. In terms of complexity it will be much less so compared to Dwarf Fortress and I will not add any drawn game representations such as in NEO scavenger. The plan is to start out simple and to build upon that if the project turns out good.

Dwarf Fortress

Neo Scavenger:

edit: its really a shame that the kindle uses java for all the crap it does. The device is already quite resource limited and running in a VM is counter productive to say the least.
I found a website with some useful info on how to programm stuff for the kindle:
site

Last edited by miomaz; 06-29-2016 at 07:54 PM.
miomaz is offline   Reply With Quote