View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #76
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Mostly towards monotheists. His arguments dissolve if you don't believe that "god" means "eternal, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and good."

He has accepted the Christian definition of "deity" and works to disprove it; his arguments are fairly meaningless to people of faiths who don't accept the Christian definition of "god."

As a devout person of a non-monotheistic religion, I find its inclusion much less inflammatory than, say, an excerpt of the Bible. But mostly, I agree with the people who assume they decided to include it based on recent book sales, and that they're likely to change the "starter pack" for Sony Readers every year or two to match current market preferences, whatever those happen to be.
Oh, heck yes. I too believe that they've included an excerpt because it's a bestseller. Makes perfect sense to me.

But, I wouldn't say that Dawkin's arguments are "meaningless" to people who do not accept the Christian (Jewish, Muslim) definition of a god (or their "God"). His arguments certainly resonate with me. I would say that they don't provoke people who do not accept that definition of a god.

I read his books and I don't feel the need to argue back. It's more along the lines of being a good read that I wish I had written.