View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #34
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
Well, I'm still going to post here and enjoy the banter :-) - I've read a few of Oprah picks - whenever I need a good cry - "Plain Song", "Map of the World", "The Secret Life of Bees" - in the first the boy that got the girl pregnant was a bad guy - but the men who took her in were very kind, the second really didn't have any irons to burn regarding men, the last, the father was terrible, but by the end, you understand better and he does a noble thing.

They're not classic literature, but for me, many are pleasurable (think drinking a moche latte) type of experience - they evoke an emotion, probably in a standard kind of way, but enjoyable none the less.

I haven't read the Sawe.. book - didn't sound good to me.

PS - I don't ever watch Oprah though - just notice the books at the store.
I only read one Oprah book (years ago), She's Come Undone. I did enjoy it. But now I can't read her recommendations, as a matter of stupid principle.

I probably wouldn't have a problem with it if I hadn't worked in a bookstore for so long, but I saw the kind of people who would read them (just because Oprah said so) and I felt a little dirty. Terrible reason, but there you have it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote