View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
Pamplemousse
Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pamplemousse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Victorian humour recommendations, please!

Lately I've gotten hooked on late 1800s / early 1900s comedy books and would love recommendations for some more.

I love Three Men In A Boat (to say nothing of the dog). I've read all of Jerome K Jerome's other books, although none of them are quite as good as that.

I'd be happy for recommendations for any good books written 1850-1920, but particularly funny ones.

Off the top of my head, other books from the period that I've read in the last year and a half:

Everything by PG Wodehouse

Diary of a Nobody

Edith Nesbit books (I like children's books too - The Children of Green Knowe is amazing, although not from the period I'm talking about)

Mark Twain stories: Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn etc. Some of his stories aren't that funny though.

Robert Louis Stevenson (not funny but amazing)

Wizard of Oz books - I gave up after the second one as they got really boring.

Alice in Wonderland / underground

Oscar Wilde - all his work

Dickens funnier stories

Most Gothic Literarure greats - Frankenstein (I was surprised how annoying the main character was), Dracula etc

Conan Doyle's Sherlock books

Houseboat on the Styx - funny, but more satire than I like - I don't know enough about politics from the period to get too much from it. I read a couple more by Bangs but they weren't amazing.

A man called Thursday - enjoyable, even if the ending wasn't

Pride and Prejudice

Monkey: a journey to the West (okay, that's a lot older and not Western lit, it was still funny though at times it was trying to go for political satire which doesn't really work 500 years later in a different continent)

H G Wells books - generally enjoyable

Jules Verne - he's too obsessed by numbers and not interested in how people feel, so I find him tiresome. I've read four of his books but won't be reading any more.

Saki's complete short stories - some gems in there, very Oscar Wilde. He's a bit of a woman hater and animals always seem to get hurt horribly in his stories though!

History of Tom Jones: A Foundling - had its moments but got dull before the halfway point and never recovered.

Shakespeare's funnier plays can be fun but I find reading a play less involving than reading a novel. I know that's not the right period either!

Probably more, but my mind's gone blank now!

Any suggestions for less well known gems out there?
Pamplemousse is offline   Reply With Quote