View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sounds like that could indeed be the problem.
Don't know.

Quote:
Hey -- why does Amazon always seem to have this problem? I always see you discussing it, has Amazon ever fixed it? Do they just keep on getting the problem back again? What the blankety-blank?
Yes, that's very true. It is an ongoing issue. Amazon has oriented all of its intake, etc., toward "Word" users, not professionals. It can make things extraordinarily difficult, sometimes--harder than it need be. After all, word-processing documents don't "carry" fonts, so....{shrug}

Quote:
Perhaps I should be glad I don't have your job.
Yes. I wouldn't recommend it, now, as a career path. Don't get me wrong, it has its moments, but from 2008-> all the low-hanging fruit is mostly gone. Amateurs have learned how to make their own books (or don't care, and just slam anything in there), Amazon et al's intake tools have become "better," more or less...so in an utterly unscientific survey conducted by me (this means, I chatted on the phone) in the industry (other idiots I know in this line of work), our perspective is, we are increasingly receiving "bad" books (hard to format books, not necessarily BAD, in that sense), or difficult clients (people who are absolutely allergic to any type of technology, or people who can't follow instructions, or worse, both; people who are very high-maintenance, and of course, want that for $150, or whatever). The job has become probably...5x as demanding as it was, in 2010, and about 75% as profitable, if that. So, while it was terrific from, say, 2008-9 to 2012, since 2013, *all* of us are making less money, generally speaking.

FWIW. Sorry, didn't mean to sound like some pity-party, just responding to your comment.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote