View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Hitch reports an ongoing problem with embedded fonts and font calls (i.e., for Courier/monospace) at Amazon.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=259398

Perhaps related?
FWIW:

One of my professional colleagues (one I respect) called me yesterday about this, and I know it's been a problem (fonts of ANY KIND) since at least Thursday the 9th. I know about the issue because one of my red-carpet clients had four books due, for a big promo, the weekend of the 10th, and s/he uses a chapter-head font. None of his/her books were building correctly, ONCE at the KDP (post in-house mobi-build).

It's a very deep issue. If you even do something like just put a monospace font CALL, in the CSS, the resulting Step-6 mobi will have that line in the CSS file REMOVED (when you deconstruct the mobi with mobiunpack). Fonts are stripped, entirely (the font files removed from the OEBPS).

So: if you are not a master bookmaker, and you run into this, it's not you. It's Amazon. I emailed them about this on the 9th, and as of the end of that weekend, they didn't seem to have it resolved at their end. At that time, I advised them that we'd worked around it, and thus, have not had ongoing communication with them on the topic, I'll leave that to someone else. They know about it, and given that my colleague called me yesterday, using his normal methodology, presumably, it's not fixed, and mayn't be. I don't believe that they know what the issue IS, or what they did, that caused this. But the normal methods of building MOBIs, ePUBs, etc., with fonts no longer works.

I'm only adding this here in case it's relevant, based on NJ's post. I didn't read the thread to know if it is.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote