View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
She's a stereotype in every way. There are many brilliantly conceived characters in literature, but I just don't see anything but ordinary in Ma Joad.
One can see her that way, I'm sure, but personally, I think she goes well beyond a simple stereotype. She is inspirational and she has agency.

In The Dusty Shelf, Michael Shaler defends her thus:

http://www.thedustyshelf.com/1-5/joad.php

I must confess, too, that I am influenced by the moving and much admired performance of her character given by Jane Darwell in the 1940 film.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-01-2014 at 12:32 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote