View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I enjoyed the book in general. I thought there could have been a little more resolution in the ending. The chapters relating the "newspaper heading" type narrative gave context to the story, but became a little tiresome. The manner of speech took some getting used to. Ma was my favourite character as I felt she was the strongest and the only one actively trying to keep the family together. I liked that there were uplifting characters and situations sprinkled throughout the book instead of the story containing all desolation and then having a heart-lifting ending. The story was about the strength (and weakness) of the human spirit and I felt that was what was conveyed.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote