Thread: Saga of Recluce
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #72
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Perhaps I'm suffering from early-onset curmudgeonry, but I thought Lerris' teenaged obtuseness added realism

I finished up The Magic Engineer (book 3) last week. Towers of Sunset got much better toward the end. The Magic Engineer repeated the formula of the first book in many respects, following a gifted young exile who lived as a craftsman on the continent until the irrepressible evidence of his innate Order brought him to the center of world events. There's some point to the similarities, though, and the particulars are quite different--his chosen craft takes the story in a quite different direction. Also, the protagonist isn't quite as dumb as Lerris (or, arguably, Creslin in book 2)
I'm further along in book 1, and Lerris has improved dramatically, so I'm enjoying it a lot more. This is a slow paced book, but I actually think it works well here, as the reader sees Lerris' development.

The brief interludes with Krystal and others are a little confusing for me at the moment. Perhaps those get clearer as the book moves along. The author's use of noises is a little odd, too. But I just kind of gloss over those at this point.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote