Thread: Saga of Recluce
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #71
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Perhaps I'm suffering from early-onset curmudgeonry, but I thought Lerris' teenaged obtuseness added realism
Well, there are some writers who seem to delight in writing stupid characters that need to have *everything* explained. David Eddings sometimes does that, making characters ask questions that are so damned obvious that I can only think: "A real person could not be THAT stupid." In the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Arthur Dent, written to be a somewhat less intelligent character, also does it on occasion. The author himself seems to parody this, saying somewhere in one of the books that it looks like as if Arthur Dent's only purpose in the universe is to say "What?" every now and then.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote