View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 01:50 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You mean they will strip the compiled binaries from the repos and stuff. You will still be able to build it yourself, and standalone binaries which bundle python2 with all dependencies (few) will continue to work.
Yes, I'll tell my mother: You can build it yourself! And how will you build it, if you don't have the tools? If a version gets discarded, don't you think the tools will get discarded as well?

And there are now plenty of OS's that are used by a very large group of people that are not supported by Calibre. I know people who no longer own a windows/linux/MacOS machine, but only an Android, Ios, or RT tablet. I haven't seen a Calibre version for those OS's... And they've been around for a while already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes there is a need and a very good reason. ePub is based on a ZIP and XML I don't think these two things will go away. So in the future, you will be able to open the ZIP container and extract the files.
That's why I don't even zip it... I simply store the HTML, images and all other things required to build an epub out of my folder, but the last step, zipping, I skip. (Not so much for keepsake, but rather to make editing easier, no need to open the zipped file and edit the sources. Calibre makes a mess out of my sources so I never use Calibre to edit my files...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote