View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #470
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Hi thread, I'm amazed at the wizzardry that goes on here. I should be--I don't understand the half of it.

Coming from a Sony T2 I would like to use a plugboard to make up for a Paperwhite 2's inability to use collections.

* The Material
Roughly half my books are English, the others German with the odd Dutch one. Because Calibre doesn't work so well with German articles I tweaked my title display to not use the "xxx, the" format.

I tag my books with genres, usually just one, sometimes two. These are comma separated, which I believe makes them a little problematic. If needs be I could make do with just the first genre, but retaining all would be preferable.

I copy author_sort back to author manually on my first edit of a new book. I just don't dig the FN LN format anywhere in the software or on a reader. So it is "Updike, John" thrughout. No series and I don't see I'll ever use that.

* The Goal
I never use the titel sort view on the reader, as I'm usually not quite sure of the exact title. So my idea is to employ this in a different fashion. I would like to retain the ability to sort by author, but could do with just the last name and just the first author. First name and 2nd authors etc. could be truncated.

I would like to be able to sort on my genres. The PW2 has the nice feature that you can click on the page count in the "shelf view" and enter a letter (or more) where you want to jump to in the list. So, entering "ps" in "genre sort view" would take me to the Psychology section and I could then leaf thru the 3 pages of it. (If, alternatively, I would employ searching, "ps" would throw up all sorts of results. So I would have to enter all of "psychology" and then get a novel thrown in which might use that word.)

Because on the PW2 the author line is smaller than the title line, my idea was to use that on the PW2 as "author: title" (meaning sort by title is to all effects a sort by author). And the genres (tags) would go on the author line (turning author sort to genre sort). Either just the first genre or possibly both w/o the comma.

In the end it should ideally look like this:
Updike, John: Always looking
Art Essay

I would be very grateful if you had some ideas and suggestions as to how I could achieve this. Thanks --

Hendrik
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote