View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #82
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
A minor update to my previous review. A few small nuisances, all of them software.

*) Font Size. There is a commendable lot of them, but IMO too few small settings. You get S, M, L, and a bunch of X...L. I have yet to use anything beyong M and S, and today again S was almost too small but M definitely too large.

*) Hardware Buttons in landscape mode. Maybe it's me, but I think they're switched wrong. I've turned the book 90° left (both directions are possible, very nice), and I have to push the left button to get to the next page (on the right side).

*) Night reading mode.
A very nice idea, it inverses the usual black/white scheme. So you're reading white letters on a dark background - ideal when reading in a dark room.
Not so ideal, however, is that the reader often behaves like a badly wrought dynamic HTML site - i.e. constantly refreshing for a second or two, and completely ignoring the dark scheme.
I know I'm rather thin-skinned when it comes to flashing lights (fortunately it's just a pet peeve, nothing serious like epilepsy), so I found it to be QUITE annoying when I read in a dark room and suddenly the screen started flashing white.

Also, there is one hardware nuisance which I'd love to have an explanation for. The rest button.
I know it's a common theme, but why does a reset button have to be so small and inset that it is almost impossible to reach it without specialized equipment? I understand you don't want to push it accidently, but if it's within a groove of say 2 mm across, with a deep sitting button (but a rubber cover above, so you can still reach it with any suitable implement) that should be fine?
Matter of fact, I recently had the enjoyment of spending over half an hour musing about such things because I accidently pressed a button during bootup and had nothing on my with which I could press that damned button.
(Fortunately I still have Cribbage on my cell phone, so I had something to waste my time on during the train ride.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote