View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Congratulations for successfully reviving your Glo!
I would suggest however, that the title of your post should read "Guide for Fixing Semi-Bricked Kobo Glo After Failed Manual Update without loosing data." If you don't want to save any files from the device, your approach is much to complicated and, as you say, risky.
If you don't mind loosing data (in most cases this will be the annotations), just power the device off by holding the power slider in the off position for about 20 seconds, and then trigger the factory reset.

As for the problem with the instable usb connection, I had it too on one older laptop. After some experiences similar to yours, I used to copy the KoboRoot.tgz file with another name to the device ( e.g, _KoboRoot.tgz) and after successfully copying renamed it back to the original name.

I would also recommend saving important data before side loading FW.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote