View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #17990
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, I've finally got to the end of "Forge of the Elders" by L. Neil Smith. This was a part of my "catch up on my past Baen purchases" project, which unfortunately is a losing race, since I'm buying 4 new Baen books a month, but only catching up on the old ones by 1 or 2 a month . Anyway, be that as it may, this was a book I bought in April 2000.

The plot is that, in the mid 21st century, in a USA which is now a part of the world-wide Soviet Empire, an expedition is sent to an asteroid, in order to mine its resources, where it is discovered that the asteroid is populated by a wide range of sentient beings from alternate time-lines, in which evolution has followed different paths. Even worse, this is a capitalist society, rather than being good Marxists!

An interesting idea, but I found it terribly hard going, and I honestly can't recommend it.

On now to something a lot easier to read: "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" by Agatha Christie, one of her standalone detective stories not featuring any of her "regular" detectives.
L. Neil Smith is a hardcore Libertarian and all of his books tend to aggressively push this agenda. Some are decent reads if you ignore how hard he pushes his views. Others are very badly written in my opinion.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote