View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #614
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Seeing as the front light is a front light and not a back light I'm not sure the inverted mode will do anything for you. The whole point of inverted mode is to reduce the amount of light coming out through the screen. Since zero light comes out through the screen of a front lit reader anyway it probably wouldn't have much effect.
Been reading through this thread, due to the fact that im considering getting a Kobo Aura HD today from my local bookstore in Tallinn, seems they have the espresso, which id prefer. Unfortunately i leaned on the screen of my PRS-950 on the beach of Santorini last week with my elbow now the Aura HD seems the best replacement (it has slightly more dpi then the new Aura, and id have to wait for the new model who knows how long). I really enjoyed my Sony 950, but unfortunately the e ink screen couldnt take my weight, RIP my dear reader, and the T3 seems to be two years behind the latest Kobos..

What I wanted to comment on here is the talk about backlit vs frontlit... Well the point i want to make is from physics, what is a light source..? the sun is a light source, but what about the moon, it does not produce light, yet it reflects the light produced by the sun, doesnt this make it a light source? yes we dont need sunglasses when looking at the moon, but thats besides the point. Looking at the moon is the same as looking at the sun, just not as intensive (from the aspect of Light not radiation etc.)
When you are reading a frontlit kobo, or paperwhite in a dark room, the only light source being your reader's built-in front light the effect is the same as a lcd just not as bright.. light is bouncing from the screen to your eyes (if not then you wouldnt see anything). If you had a second light source then that would light the room and the effect wouldnt be so strong.. And so i believe that the point made by Canuck about the white text on black is correct, because if the text was reflecting light back and not the backround then there would be less light reflected back. Just my thoughts about the Frontlit technology.. will be happy to hear your thoughts on the subject.(if anyone bothered to read this long and boring text of mine)
Bottom line- anything becomes a light source when reflecting light from another source especially in a dark environment.
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote