View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #49
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I've never used it. I'd still rather have it available.
I agree, but I'm not sure it *has* to be available on an e-ink reader. Tablets are by necessity of viewing movies and video content equipped with speakers, there's no problem getting text-to-speech, more than one reading app offers it.

Whereas there is less need for speakers and headphone jacks on the e-ink reader. They add weight and cost. So I can see why Amazon is no longer incorporating it on e-ink. They probably figure those who need the feature will go the tablet route OR already have it via a smartphone. On e-ink, most of the other manufacturers have not had the text-to-speech feature in the first place. And most other manufacturers are also dropping or have already dropped audio features from their e-ink devices.

If it's needed, it's about as easy to find a cheap tablet these days as it is to find a cheap e-ink device. If someone needs a lighter weight device, then phones and media players can take up the slack.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote