View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
jiggsKC
birth worm
jiggsKC has learned how to read e-booksjiggsKC has learned how to read e-booksjiggsKC has learned how to read e-booksjiggsKC has learned how to read e-booksjiggsKC has learned how to read e-booksjiggsKC has learned how to read e-booksjiggsKC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iphone, Kindle2, Macbook
Post Kindle's and iPads

I love e-ink. But the short answer is, no.

I particularly like the kindle with the brighter screen, the Paperwhite (which sells for $119). Unfortunately, there isn't a 10" version of the paperwhite. Also, i really like the keyboard functionality of the Kindle Keyboard (aka Kindle 2 and Kindle 3).

You have to be honest with yourself. If you are looking for a tablet, a kindle e-reader is probably far away from the direction you should be looking in. The Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Note 10, or Apple's iPad 2, 3, or 4 all look really inviting in that size. And at $239, you are getting into that territory.

I have an iPad 2, and i used to have a kindle 2 (keyboard), and now a kindle paperwhite. My mom has the Kindle Keyboard (kindle3) in slate. There is something about the way that the e-ink looks. it doesn't strain the eyes, and it keeps everything about the words. I can zip through novels and go to far away places by reading e-ink on the kindle.

The iPad, or any Android equivalent tablet (if you can call them that), offer beautiful colors, rich video experiences, and apps galore. They are very much what the laptop on the go experience is becoming.

But for reading black and white text, if i had a preference . . . a kindle; always a kindle. The DX to me looked rather large, and i always went for small and compact, but i could see if you are reading PDF's or pictorial type articles, you might want the DX. I think most people would steer you away, however, because devices have come a long, long way. You would have to really love e-ink, and really wanna live in that monochrome world to pass up the multitasking and variety of uses a tablet could offer. Even the Kindle Fire just gives you a lot more to work with.

It's the distraction that comes with it, which keeps me going back to my kindle. And sometimes looking at a screen that bright and colorful can detract from the colorful language, the mystery, and the sheer brilliance of the imagination.
jiggsKC is offline   Reply With Quote