View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #61
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Just make sure you run your result through the epub validator

http://validator.idpf.org/

and make sure you have no warnings or errors when done.

Also, I am pretty sure using <i> </i> is not valid in EPUB, that you need to us CSS for that.
<i></i> is valid, as is <b></b>, in EPUB 2 at least. There is an ongoing argument that people should prefer to use <em></em> (emphasis) rather than italics, and <strong></strong> rather than bold, but either should be acceptable to epub compliant software.

And it had better be. Sigil uses it, and I've seen Smashwords/Calibre generate this element, and it even (redundantly as far as I know) assigns a CSS style as well - eg: <i class="calibre2">some text</i> where the calibre2 style says the text should be italic. (Note that I am NOT holding this up as a good example, just an example of what has - in the past at least - come out of the meatgrinder.)

Elements that are not valid are things like <center></center>. Restrictions that have software like Sigil implement as : <p style="text-align: center;">Some text.</p> (I image Scrivener probably generates something similar if you explicitly centre any paragraphs, but have not checked.) Which just goes to show you that without style-aware editors your epubs may still not end up being as neat and tidy as intended by the standard.

Last edited by gmw; 07-18-2013 at 09:09 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote