View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
We are actually at a stage were it seems people are demanding devices that will certainly be landfill in a few years, the whole thing makes no sense to me I can see why manufacturers want it but I can't figure how did they brainwash so many into thinking less is more.
This suggests that the only reason people would throw the device away is because of the battery issue, but which is an extremely questionable assumption. I have a an old Creative Nomad II mp3 player which takes batteries and still works, but I never use it, despite the fact that I also have the 64MB (not GB) SmartMedia card it uses. Battery life is just not a limiting factor for these devices.

Note, too, that devices with non-user-replaceable batteries aren't the same as units with non-replaceable batteries: Apple will replace the batteries in iPods, iPhones, and iPads for a fee ($49-$99), which is reasonable enough after 5 years or so (I have a 7 year old iPod that is still on the original battery).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote