View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #27
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
The whole case also proves just how greedy the textbook companies are. Instead of making them available to everyone at Thai prices (which are probably closer to the "cost of manufacture" prices that you're supposed to get in a "free market," ), they sue to keep gouging US students.
I suspect publishing is not a very high-margin business, in which case accusations of profiteering may be misplaced, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong. On the other hand, students are a perfect instance of a captive market, particularly when publishers collude with professors to insist on the necessity of a new, but scarcely modified, edition every year. This shameful practice not only ensures incoming students pay $150 for new textbooks, but it cuts the legs out from under outgoing students trying to resell their old copies.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote