View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
See, I wouldn't make these mutually exclusive. A space opera can be, and usually is, Science Fiction. Of course, I don't have definition for Hard Science Fiction, so that may be the difference.
From Wikipedia again (not that they are a font of wisdom, but mostly I agree with their definitions):

Quote:
Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific or technical detail, or on scientific accuracy, or on both.
Quote:
Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in outer space, usually involving conflict between opponents possessing advanced technologies and abilities.
I think David Weber's Honor Harrington series is both Hard Science Fiction and Space Opera. I'm fairly sure that that statement would cause arguments in some circles.

It is frustrating, but in the end *I* really don't like definitions. I read what I like and it is what I say it is...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote