View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #23609
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've got one of those, with a monkey carved on top (I was born in the year of the monkey). Never considered using it to stamp our marriage licence, though I like the idea. What does yours actually say?
A hanko is almost a necessity in Japan, and absolute necessity for Japanese, and almost as much for a foreigner living here for any length of time. Most things require a stamp rather than a signature. Each one is engraved with a person's name, usually in ancient Chinese characters. There are usually TWO hanko that a person uses; a 'daily' one for signing receipts, time cards, registered mail, minor contracts, etc., etc., and these can be bought at most stationary stores, mass produced. But everyone also has a 'registered' hanko that is hand-carved, making it absolutely unique. These are registered with the City Hall, and are used for major contracts such as buying a car, a house, insurance, etc. They are as binding as a signature so they are usually kept locked up. If I have YOUR registered hanko and I use it to buy a car, YOU are legally responsible for paying the bill!

As a foreigner, my registered hanko must be carved using the 'katakana' characters, the ones used for 'borrowed words' such as computer, elevator, broccoli, (words that didn't exist in Japan 500 years ago.) My wife's hanko uses the Chinese characters. Interesting to note that a Chinese ex-pat living in Japan can NOT use Chinese characters for their hanko, even though that is how their name is normally written! Because they are 'foreigners,' they have to have hanko with katakana characters! Mine is a little one just like this guy's. However, I have carved several of them in the square form in stone, using both Chinese characters and katakana just for fun. But waaay to heavy to carry around every day!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote