Thread: The Mind's Eye
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #30
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Or my knowledge of fighting is lacking. Or my original visualization of the characters is wrong. Something usually falls apart for me in the action scenes.
Yep - I've been there. Particularly for action scenes. I think it has something to do with the need to create pace vs the need to create imagery. If the author becomes overly visual, the writing will slow its pace and you'll probably think the action scenes are quite boring. However, if the author focuses on pace, there are a few more connections to be made by the reader as the writing itself tends to become a little more sparse to keep things moving.

So my responsibility as a reader becomes all the greater to bridge any gaps. Particularly in action scenes I find that I'm not always up to the task.

Of course, it also might be as KennyC mentioned with the author not striking the right balance between description and pace.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote